A New Series of Prints - Backyard Botanicals

 My process begins with pencil drawings. Here are a few - a Fritilaria, Daffodil, and Spiderwort. I enjoy drawing with pencil, since it allows me to study form, line,  and composition.

My process begins with pencil drawings. Here are a few - a Fritilaria, Daffodil, and Spiderwort. I enjoy drawing with pencil, since it allows me to study form, line,  and composition.

 Photograph of the Fritilaria, which inspired this print.

Photograph of the Fritilaria, which inspired this print.

 Here I am printing the second color. Notice how the flower is 'coming to life'!

Here I am printing the second color. Notice how the flower is 'coming to life'!

 Printmaking magic (most of the time); pleased with how the colors and image are coming together.

Printmaking magic (most of the time); pleased with how the colors and image are coming together.

 I printed a total of 7 colors. This is the final color; a dark purple-black.

I printed a total of 7 colors. This is the final color; a dark purple-black.

During the cold months of Winter, I began a new series of prints based on the plants found in my gardens. I have explored birds and flowers in the past. However, with these prints I am focused on the botanicals. I spent a good bit of time completing a suite of drawings based on photographs I have taken. I recently completed my first print in this series. It was slow goint at first; since I had not worked in the reduction process for some time. 

 I began with the Fritilaria. Here I have transferred the sketch to the linoleum and am carving the image. I will leave these areas white on the completed print.

I began with the Fritilaria. Here I have transferred the sketch to the linoleum and am carving the image. I will leave these areas white on the completed print.

 The press and linoleum are inked and ready for the first run, a pale yellow color. I am printing on Rives BFK paper. I place the unmounted linoleum on a wooden base using permament double sided tape. Shims of chipboard are under the wood to get the linolem type high which is .918 ".  Each time I print a new color, more of the block is carved away and more details are added to the image. This is the reason it is called a Reduction print.

The press and linoleum are inked and ready for the first run, a pale yellow color. I am printing on Rives BFK paper. I place the unmounted linoleum on a wooden base using permament double sided tape. Shims of chipboard are under the wood to get the linolem type high which is .918 ".  Each time I print a new color, more of the block is carved away and more details are added to the image. This is the reason it is called a Reduction print.

 I am printing the third color - a lovely teal. The background is now carved away and I will work solely with the flower and leaves for the remainder of this print. 

I am printing the third color - a lovely teal. The background is now carved away and I will work solely with the flower and leaves for the remainder of this print. 

 Another color - this time a dark green.

Another color - this time a dark green.

 Here is the finished print, an edition of twelve and one Artist Proof. I am excited at what I learned and can't wait to continue with this series!

Here is the finished print, an edition of twelve and one Artist Proof. I am excited at what I learned and can't wait to continue with this series!