Garden Reverie - Drum Leaf Book and Hinged Box

 I began by completing a series of drawings based on photographs I had taken of my gardens. 

I began by completing a series of drawings based on photographs I had taken of my gardens. 

 Carving a dragonfly in the calla lilies.

Carving a dragonfly in the calla lilies.

 Dragonfly proof.

Dragonfly proof.

 After proofing; I began printing each one on my Vandercook. Each print had three runs; one pressure print of leaves in a pale green, then a yellow mat. The third run was of the relief print, which I printed in a dark green color.

After proofing; I began printing each one on my Vandercook. Each print had three runs; one pressure print of leaves in a pale green, then a yellow mat. The third run was of the relief print, which I printed in a dark green color.

 I wrote a poem entitled "Garden Reverie". I set it in 12 pt Garamond and printed the text on the pressure printed image. Here is the form set on the press and ready for printing.

I wrote a poem entitled "Garden Reverie". I set it in 12 pt Garamond and printed the text on the pressure printed image. Here is the form set on the press and ready for printing.

After all of the relief prints and text pages were printed; I began binding them into a Drum Leaf binding. I had printed all of these on Monawk Superfine paper; which I attached (using PVA) to Stonehenge paper. This caused the pages to be thicker when brought together into the binding. Here are some images of making the book,

 The pages are folded and weighted. A piece of Japanese paper is adhered to the spine. This will be hidden when the cover boards and outer spine are added. 

The pages are folded and weighted. A piece of Japanese paper is adhered to the spine. This will be hidden when the cover boards and outer spine are added. 

 Here are the cover boards with a recessed area on the front cover. I used a beautiful green book cloth. I cut a small portion of this print to use on the cover.

Here are the cover boards with a recessed area on the front cover. I used a beautiful green book cloth. I cut a small portion of this print to use on the cover.

 I am now at the final step - making the hinged box. I cut a small opening in the end of the box tray to help in lifting the book out of the box. 

I am now at the final step - making the hinged box. I cut a small opening in the end of the box tray to help in lifting the book out of the box. 

 View of book interior.

View of book interior.

I recently completed a new artist book entitled Garden Reverie. It is a Drum Leaf book housed in a hinged box. The book is composed of relief prints and a short poem written about the images. The prints and poem set in Garamond were letterpress printed. As with most projects; I learned a great deal. Here is a look at the process from start to finish.

 After  completing several drawings, I chose nine for the book. I then began transferring each drawing to a block which I carved for printing. I particularly liked this one of a chickadee in our fig tree. 

After  completing several drawings, I chose nine for the book. I then began transferring each drawing to a block which I carved for printing. I particularly liked this one of a chickadee in our fig tree. 

  I proofed each block before printing the book on my letterpress. Here is a proof of the chickadee and fig tree image.

 I proofed each block before printing the book on my letterpress. Here is a proof of the chickadee and fig tree image.

 I love this print of tulips in the garden!

I love this print of tulips in the garden!

 Print of a monarch butterfly in zinnias. 

Print of a monarch butterfly in zinnias. 

 Image of the printed poem.

Image of the printed poem.

 Once the spine was dry; I cut the pages down to size on my guillotine cutter. The inner book is completed. I am now ready to complete the cover and hinged box for housing the book.

Once the spine was dry; I cut the pages down to size on my guillotine cutter. The inner book is completed. I am now ready to complete the cover and hinged box for housing the book.

 Cover boards completed and attached to inner book pages. I used the pressure printed Mohawk Superfine for the book's outer spine.

Cover boards completed and attached to inner book pages. I used the pressure printed Mohawk Superfine for the book's outer spine.

 Covering the case for the box. I used the green book cloth for the box as well.

Covering the case for the box. I used the green book cloth for the box as well.

 Finished book and box.

Finished book and box.

It was a very involved project, but worth the many steps along the way to completion. I was so pleased with how all of the elements came together and hope to explore this idea in future prints and books - my Garden Reverie!