Out of Africa Part 2 - Patterns Influenced by the Maasi

 The Maasi women make these ornaments using delicate wire combined with various seed beads and metal disks.

The Maasi women make these ornaments using delicate wire combined with various seed beads and metal disks.

 Proofing the first block I carved.

Proofing the first block I carved.

 Carving the third block.

Carving the third block.

Once I had carved and proofed each of these blocks I printed them in a variety of colors on French paper and chipboard. I was pleased with the results and used them as covers for single and multiple pamphlet journals. Take a look.

 I so love the look of my press inked up and printing1

I so love the look of my press inked up and printing1

 A sampling of the prints. I used a lovely brown and green color - so exciting how each block looked on the two types of paper.

A sampling of the prints. I used a lovely brown and green color - so exciting how each block looked on the two types of paper.

 An assortment of three section pamphlets all sewn up!

An assortment of three section pamphlets all sewn up!

I was attracted to the delicate patterns of the beaded items made by the Maasi women and purchased a few to bring home. I completed a suite of carved blocks based on these objects in addition to fabric I had purchased while traveling in Ghana in 2013. I then experimented with printing these blocks on both paper and cloth. I am still exploring the blocks using them in various ways. It has been a rewarding process. Here is a sampling of the results.

 Fabrics from Ghana, purchased in 2013 while travelling there. 

Fabrics from Ghana, purchased in 2013 while travelling there. 

 Here is a proof of the second block I carved.

Here is a proof of the second block I carved.

 This is a proof of the third block; my favorite.

This is a proof of the third block; my favorite.

 Printing on French paper.

Printing on French paper.

 A completed three section pamphlet journal using "The Rope" stitch.

A completed three section pamphlet journal using "The Rope" stitch.

I will now share printing on cotton muslin - the results were quite satisfying!