Garden Vignettes - A Suite of Tunnel Books Inspired By My Gardens

 These four prints were the images that would become the 'Garden Vignettes'. I love the blues!

These four prints were the images that would become the 'Garden Vignettes'. I love the blues!

 Cutting away spaces within the prints to create the pages for each book. 

Cutting away spaces within the prints to create the pages for each book. 

  Finch in the Garden  is completed. I will make a few adjustments for the books, but am excited with this result!

Finch in the Garden is completed. I will make a few adjustments for the books, but am excited with this result!

Models for the book covers. The one on the right worked the best (the spine is a bit deeper and the cover is a bit wider). 

 A completed closed cover.

A completed closed cover.

 Colophon and a bit of collaged embellishment have been added to  Finch in the Garden ; now to assemble and add the wrap.

Colophon and a bit of collaged embellishment have been added to Finch in the Garden; now to assemble and add the wrap.

I completed a group of small relief prints based on 'happenings' in my gardens. I then used them in a group of small tunnel books with case bindings. It proved to be a beneficial way to bring image and book form together.

 I printed numerous prints, since I would need at least five prints of each image for each tunnel book.

I printed numerous prints, since I would need at least five prints of each image for each tunnel book.

 After cutting separate pages for each book I experimented with various papers for the sides of the books. Accordion folded pages are used for this. Bugra paper worked the best so I used it. I was then ready to glue and assemble the first book; which served as a model.

After cutting separate pages for each book I experimented with various papers for the sides of the books. Accordion folded pages are used for this. Bugra paper worked the best so I used it. I was then ready to glue and assemble the first book; which served as a model.

 Four are assembled - so pleased! I must now design a cover for the books. I plan on using a case binding. I will explore sizes and materials through building a model (or two).

Four are assembled - so pleased! I must now design a cover for the books. I plan on using a case binding. I will explore sizes and materials through building a model (or two).

 I chose a delicate pattern in a Japanese paper for the covers. The blues were exactly what I wanted to match the blues of the garden prints.

I chose a delicate pattern in a Japanese paper for the covers. The blues were exactly what I wanted to match the blues of the garden prints.

 I have completed a book using each image. I then set a bit of type in 12pt. Garamond for the colophon and 'belly' wrap for the books.

I have completed a book using each image. I then set a bit of type in 12pt. Garamond for the colophon and 'belly' wrap for the books.

 Printing the colophon on Mohawk Superfine. I will also use this paper for the 'belly' wrap.

Printing the colophon on Mohawk Superfine. I will also use this paper for the 'belly' wrap.

 Working out the dimensions for and assembling a wrap.

Working out the dimensions for and assembling a wrap.

 I  like how the 'belly' wrap holds the little books together and gives them a finished presentation.

I  like how the 'belly' wrap holds the little books together and gives them a finished presentation.